Skip To Main Content

College Credit Opportunities

College and Career Center - The college and career center provides students with the opportunity to learn more about scholarships, college and career representative visits, college applications, college entrance exams, financial aid, job shadowing, job resources, employment opportunities, and more.  Visit their website for more details.

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement is an internationally recognized program whereby students take classes that provide excellent preparation for the rigors of college. Students that pass the AP final test with a grade of “3” or higher may receive college credit for that class. Each college determines the passing score they will accept. Contact the specific college for further information on transferring AP credits.

Many times, one advanced placement class taken in high school will allow a student to opt out of at least one college class and possibly more than one.

Advanced Placement Courses offered at Cambridge-Isanti High School include:


Language/Composition & Literature/Composition

Social Studies

US Government & Politics

Regardless of whether a student passes an advanced placement course or not, college admissions administrators take positive note of students who have challenged themselves with more rigorous courses. Because of the excellent preparation they provide for college, students are strongly encouraged to challenge themselves with concurrent and Advanced Placement courses.

Permission Only

Certain courses require instructor permission in order to register for the course. Students must meet with the instructor before registration to determine if they are eligible to enroll in the course and to complete any required registration documents. At that time the instructor will sign your registration form which will allow you to register for the course. You will not be able to register for the course if the instructor’s signature is not on the form. See your advisor or counselor for specific instructor information.

By Permission Only Courses include:

 Honors Physics

Independent  Study Art

 Intro to Taxidermy

 Career Seminar 1 & 2

 Work Experience/OJ


Independent Study

The purpose of Independent Study is for exploration, advanced study, enrichment and compacting curriculum. To apply for an independent study course, students must submit a formal written proposal using the application form available on the CIHS website. The form and its approval must be completed prior to the start of the Independent Study.  Any faculty member may serve as an advisor for an independent course of study. The student may need to present their project to the Principal/Counselor team.

College in the Schools

CIHS offers college level courses which allow students to receive high school and college credits simultaneously.

These classes are taught by teachers who have at least a master’s degree and have the advantage (unlike PSEO courses) of being taught on-site. Because these credits are offered through the University of Minnesota, St. Cloud State University, Anoka-Ramsey Community College, Bethel University, and Saint Cloud Technical College, transferring the credits to a different college may pose a problem. It is important for students to contact the registrar of the college in order to have official transcripts sent to the college of their choice.

Beginning in their junior year, students may take: 

College Algebra A & B College Reading & Writing College Biology A & B
College Calculus A & B College Public Speaking College Chemistry A & B
College Statistics College Psychology ITV College Foundations of Education
College Trigonometry College US History Intro to Engineering Design A & B
College German 4 College World History Vocational Welding

College Intro to Literature

(taken as part of AP Lit)

College Poetry

(taken as part of AP Lit)



Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO)

Beginning in the junior year, a student may opt to attend any college, either full-time or part-time, to which he/she has been accepted. Juniors/Seniors; you’ll need to check with the individual college to determine their specific eligibility requirements. Some technical colleges require a specific cumulative GPA for admission. State funding covers the cost of tuition, fees and required books for eligible courses. It is the student’s responsibility to check on the transfer of credits to a different college.

Also, transportation must be provided by the student.

More information and guideline sheets visit the Minnesota Department of Education Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) webpage

Articulated College Credit

Articulated College Credit courses are taught at Cambridge-Isanti High School and offer students high school credit as well as college credit. Students are expected to perform at the college level. Through technical schools, students will receive an Articulated College Credit Certificate of Credit if they meet the requirements. The Articulated College Credit Certificate may be submitted to a college at the time of registration to possibly receive college credit. College acceptance of credits is subject to change due to revisions in college courses and other circumstances. 

Please go to to see the full list of Articulated College Credit offered at CIHS.

CIHS has Articulated College Credit Agreements with Anoka-Ramsey and North Hennepin Community Colleges and Anoka, Pine, St. Cloud, and Hennepin Technical Colleges

Student data is collected for the purpose of issuing Articulated College Credit Certificates and to help measure program effectiveness. Consortium member teachers enter student data into the secure on-line system to authorize issuance of the college credit certificates. Internal consortium staff members generate and mail the certificates.